Re: Update about draft-petrescu-ipv6-over-80211p-01.txt

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 05 March 2014 19:28 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 20:28:24 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Update about draft-petrescu-ipv6-over-80211p-01.txt

I would like to ask whether somewhere exists some form of encouraging
text saying that IP _is_ allowed on the control channel in the 5.9GHz
band used by IEEE 802.11p.

Because,

During the presentaion in 6MAN WG about IPv6-over-802.11p I said, if I
recollect correctly, that FCC forbids the use of IP on the control
channel by FCC.

I got direct and indirect private comments about the validity of such
statement.

I may have been wrong, but not entirely.  Maybe it would have been safer
to say that FCC _and_ IEEE forbid that: FCC defines what is a control
channel in the publicly available document '2004 "Report and Order,
Before the Federal Communications Commission Washington", D.C. 20554,
FCC 03-324', and IEEE defines what goes on these channels in P1609.4 by
saying 'data frames containing IP datagrams are only allowed on service
channels' - implicitely not on control channels.

There is much approximation in these statements but I did my best to
search these documents; and this is reflected in Appendix B of the
IPv6-over-80211p document, analysis at this URL:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-petrescu-ipv6-over-80211p-01#page-25

Alex
PS: there is some ongoing discussion about the documents P1609 not being
public access; I can not do anything about that; IAB IEEE liaison
manager is in discussion about this with IEEE representative and things
advance.