Re: rs-refresh

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org> Thu, 05 March 2015 23:18 UTC

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 15:18:39 -0800
From: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
To: Mark ZZZ Smith <markzzzsmith@yahoo.com.au>, Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo@google.com>, Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
Subject: Re: rs-refresh
Cc: "6man@ietf.org" <6man@ietf.org>

On 3/5/15 12:11 AM, Mark ZZZ Smith wrote:
> I'm generally for the the principle of using link-layer or network layer unicast and replication instead of multicast when replication is cheaper (and arguably it is going to be a lot of the time, because most link layers are actually replicating  frames over point-to-point links to emulate link-layer multicast anyway).
>
> Multicast RAs could be link-layer unicast to individual nodes, once their known, as per RFC6085, so that could be used to reduce/avoid link-layer multicasts by periodic RAs.

Mark,

If we want to enable hosts to sleep, how do you see the router being
able to schedule when those multicasts-as-unicast will be sent to a
particular unicast link-layer address? It would seem like that needs to
be when the host is awake.

> For more general multicast traffic, I came up with the following a while back (which I should revisit based on the discussion at the time I posted):
>
> "MLDv2 Procedures for Link-Layer Unicast Delivery of Multicast IPv6"
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-smith-mldv2-link-unicast-00

That approach would be interesting when the number of members in the
group are small (and there is no MLD snooping); when the average number
of members in a group on a link are near one it would perform very well.
But using it for RAs send to all-nodes seems less obvious from a
performance perspective.

Thanks,
    Erik