Re: effect of deprecated site local addresses on router renumbering (rfc 2894)

Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com> Wed, 05 October 2005 07:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 08:24:55 +0100
From: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com>
To: Suraj <surajs@huawei.com>
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: effect of deprecated site local addresses on router renumbering (rfc 2894)
Sender: ipv6-bounces@ietf.org

Suraj wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>RFC 2894 ' Router Renumbering for IPv6'describes the Renumbering of
>Prefixes using RR commands to multicast addresses. (Site local OR Link
>local).
>
>Since the site local addresses are now deprecated (RFC 3879), we can
>assume that RR is now supported only for Link local addresses (unicast
>and multicast).

No:  The deprecation only affects site-local unicast addresses.
Site-scope multicast is still available.

>What is the relevance of the 'S'(site specific) flag now in the command
>message. Should the 'S' flag be evaluated even if the scope of
>destination address is Link local (unicast or multicast)?

Yes:  The relevance is unchanged.  If a router is at a site border and
is configured with some interfaces (set A) associated with one site and
others (set B)  associated with other site(s), then a renumbering
message arriving on any interface in set A (whatever the destination
address in the base IPv6 header) with the S flag set will be applied
exclusively to the interfaces in set A - those in set B will be unaffected.

>Since RFC 2894 says that the 'S' flag should be ignored unless the
>router treats interfaces as belonging to different "sites", in this case
>should the RR command messages be limited only to the interfaces on that
>link OR to all interfaces on the router?

Again the type of the command message destination address has no effect.
Combining the words in s1, s3.1 and s4.3, the intention is that any RR
command with the S flag clear applies to *all* interfaces apart from
those that might be ruled out because they are currently shut down
depending on the setting of the A flag - nothing is said about altering
the processing depending on the type of destination address.

Regards,
Elwyn