RE: Intra SR Domain Deployment Model - Re: some feedback on feedback on draft-bonica-6man-ext-hdr-update-03

"Xiejingrong (Jingrong)" <xiejingrong@huawei.com> Sun, 10 May 2020 04:44 UTC

From: "Xiejingrong (Jingrong)" <xiejingrong@huawei.com>
To: Mark Smith <markzzzsmith@gmail.com>
CC: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, 6man WG <ipv6@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: Intra SR Domain Deployment Model - Re: some feedback on feedback on draft-bonica-6man-ext-hdr-update-03
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 04:44:23 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.45.211.10]

Hi Mark,
Have you found any problems of the “controlled domain” mechanism setup by RFC8754 section 5 ?
More below about the SRv6 controlled domain and the MPLS controlled domain:

The success rate of implementing controlled domains using IPv6 is going to be quite a bit lower than with MPLS because of these reasons.
==>Look at the deployment of SRv6 please.

(Has there ever been an MPLS leak between networks that caused problems in the receiving network?)
==> MPLS(and other L2.5 technology) used to be used in “intra-AS” scope, which is a very small part of a Service-provider’s network.
==> When it comes to “inter-AS” deployment within a service-provider, it encountered serious scalability problems. The industry spent many years trying to solve this scalability problem, and finally give up (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mpls-seamless-mpls-07).
==>This is very much like the telephone AFAIK, firstly it is mainly used in a “metro wide”, and now it is common for a “national wide” telephone call without any extra fee for inter-metro.
==>While for an enterprise who want a national wide “connection” of its two sites,  it is hard for a service provider on its “inter-AS” infrastructure to provide such connection by using MPLS. That’s the pain.
==>There is also MPLS over IP/UDP proposal for such “inter-AS” connection, but I failed to see a good “security boundary” could be well deployed (see RFC7510 section 6) without using an IP address block.
==>I really don’t know any other methods to solve both better: the secure boundary, and the “inter-AS” scalability, until I realized that RFC8754 section 5.1 provides a paradigm IMO.

Thanks
Jingrong