Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-6man-exthdr-01.txt

"Rosomakho, Yaroslav" <yaroslav@arbor.net> Tue, 04 January 2011 00:46 UTC

From: "Rosomakho, Yaroslav" <yaroslav@arbor.net>
To: "ipv6@ietf.org" <ipv6@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 00:48:04 +0000
Subject: Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-6man-exthdr-01.txt
acceptlanguage: en-US

Generally I support the draft, but I also agree with comments about
firewalls.

To make this idea work, I would suggest changing word "must" to word
"SHOULD" in definition of Hdr Options parameters.
Designers of these additional headers have to acknowledge the fact that
there is no guarantee of delivery of unknown headers over firewalls in any
case.

I also have concern about mandatory "ICMP Parameter problem" message
required by second bit in the Hdr Options. While generally this is a nice
idea, it could be abused to start a reflection attack. Obviously in real
life this will be mitigated by control plane policing and other
traditional security measures, but draft does not permit that.
Replacing "must" with a "SHOULD" will fix this problem as well.

Have you considered an option to allow a device that does not understand
extension header to remove just the unknown header and continue processing
the packet?

Best Regards,
Yaroslav