Re: IPv6 Privacy Considerations

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Sat, 15 March 2014 02:38 UTC

To: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Subject: Re: IPv6 Privacy Considerations
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:37:36 +1100
Cc: RJ Atkinson <rja.lists@gmail.com>, Francis Dupont <Francis.Dupont@fdupont.fr>, ipv6@ietf.org

In message <532337CB.10108@acm.org>, Erik Nordmark writes:
> On 3/14/14 9:32 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > If one is really worried ISP's could give out both stable and
> > unstable prefixes.  We just need a way to identify which is which.
> >
> > If you are running servers you put them on the stable prefixes.
> > You assign temporary addresses out of the unstable prefixes.
> >
> > IA_NA, IA_PD and SLAAC all need to be supported.
> Mark,
>
> I don't know how important it is to solve this, but *if* we want to
> solve it we might have a way do to it using existing protocol mechanism
> (the lifetimes) in DHCP and in SLAAC.

It needs to be explicit.  As for the importance this may be forced
on us.

Personally I've used the same prefix at home for 10 years and it
doesn't bother me.  The IPv4 address I have is dynamic but only
changes when my ISP needs to split nodes.  I'm not particularly
worried as there are lots of ways to track a machine.  But for those
that are worried it would be nice to have this sort of functionality.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@isc.org