Re: [IPv6] I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-enhanced-vpn-vtn-id-05.txt

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Thu, 20 July 2023 15:44 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: Justin Iurman <justin.iurman@uliege.be>, "ipv6@ietf.org" <ipv6@ietf.org>
CC: 6man Chairs <6man-chairs@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:44:48 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.45.189.244]
Subject: Re: [IPv6] I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-enhanced-vpn-vtn-id-05.txt

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your review and suggestion.

In my understanding there is no common rule of making value 0 as reserved, it is a decision made by each specific registry. For example, in the "IPv6 Extension Header Types" registry, value 0 is allocated to Hop-by-Hop Option header. We could also see other cases in IANA where value 0 is allocated for a specific purpose.

As for this registry, the allocation of value 0 could facilitate backward compatibility with some existing implementations.

Taking the above aspects into consideration, the authors think it would be better to keep the code point allocation as in the current draft.

Best regards,
Jie