Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-6man-grand-05: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 29 June 2021 15:32 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-6man-grand@ietf.org, 6man-chairs@ietf.org, ipv6@ietf.org, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@gmail.com>, bob.hinden@gmail.com, carlesgo@entel.upc.edu
Subject: Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-6man-grand-05: (with COMMENT)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 08:32:07 -0700

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-6man-grand-05: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-grand/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document. It is a VERY useful
specification! The doc is also easy to read.

Special thanks for the doc shepherd write-up about the WG process / consensus.

Other thanks to Carles Gomez for the IoT directorate review at:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/iot-directorate/cKVAO13tZw-AHhOtW4-tJhr6_rM/
and to Jen for addressing Carles' comments. Even, if RFC 8505 could be another
solution if widely implemented (section 8.2).

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated), and some nits. PLEASE act on my comment on section 6.1.2 (I was
about to raise a trivial-to-address DISCUSS).

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

-- Section 1 --
Just to be clear s/This document updates the Neighbor Discovery protocol/This
document updates the Neighbor Discovery protocol [RFC 4861]/

-- Section 2 --
In the 2. bullet, does the host need to also have the "default router
link-local" ? I would assume link-layer would be enough (no need to do NUD at
the beginning ?)

In the description, should the "host" rather be a "node" (i.e., possibly having
a router role) ?

Should "If the host sends multiple probes in parallel" be more detailed by
adding "to multiple destinations" ?

-- Section 4.1 --
The amount of mcast traffic is even reduced in the sense that less nodes are
receiving the NA/NS traffic (in this I-D only routers else all nodes).

-- Section 5.2 --
Humm I do not fully agree with the last part of the section "However most
likely those packets...address resolution is completed.". The optimistic DAD
node will indeed receive the already-queued packets so I do to really
understand the part "dropping subsequent packets" as those packets would have
been dropped anyway. Nothing dramatic but I wonder whether a rephrase would
help here.

-- Section 5.3 --

Should the 1. also includes NC entries that have expired ? Should
'communication' be qualified as on-link or not on-link ?

s/rightful owner/original owner/ because the first owner could actually be an
attacker ;-)

-- Section 5.3.2 --
s/The router receives the return traffic flows for both the rightful owner of
the duplicated address and the new host. /The router receives the return
traffic flows for the IPv6 addressed shared by the rightful owner of the
duplicated address and the new host. / ?

-- Section 6 --
This section is only about routers but the nodes behavior must also be changed
to send unsollicited NA. Where is it specified ?

-- Section 6.1.1 --
What should the router do if not discarding in "SHOULD be silently discarded."
(last sentence)

-- Section 6.1.2 --
A trivial DISCUSS level but trusting Jen to fix it: missing the end of the NEW
text as a line of dashes ;-)

How can a node execute "A node may also wish to notify its first-hop routers" ?

I wonder why some text is about "new global IPv6 address" in the replaced text
about for anycast. I can only guess that it is not applicable to anycast but to
all type of addresses. So, strongly suggest to move the part "A node may
also...to preferred" *before* the § about anycast.

-- Section 8.3 --
s/default router/first-hop routers/ ?

-- Section 8.6 --
I wonder how many of the enumerated drawbacks also apply to this
specification... (except for generating the ICMP echo reply). But, it has the
advantage of requiring only host changes.

-- Section 8.9 --
s/When a router receives a transit packet/When a router receives a transit
packet sourced by a on-link neighbor node/

-- Section 10 --
About "disclosed via DAD to all nodes anyway", actually DAD is sent to the
sollicited-node mcast address and not all nodes/routers.

== NITS ==

"Therefore", ".e.g.", "So", "Otherwise", and "However" are usually followed by
a comma as I learned from RFC Editor ;-)

s/can not/cannot/