Re: New Routing Header!!!

"Vishwas Manral" <vishwas.ietf@gmail.com> Thu, 30 August 2007 01:04 UTC

DKIM-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=lFD4d+UYFLHNfUH4RUudLbHX1EhWcXecsH2M4cVGamz5pBhG0e9y9t5x5W8bfEavqbKfFDQ1wbfhyZSCbd67ieXeFouSxK4XQxz5gt0ATNY1y6JkeDEAPtod/OAc21GLCycXB6LR86vKWJC0+McJf/QdMRXCKqpUrGTyUyurGb8=
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:03:57 +1000
From: Vishwas Manral <vishwas.ietf@gmail.com>
To: sengottuvelan srirangan <sengottuvelan_s@yahoo.com>
Cc: manoj@ipinfusion.com, IPv6 WG <ipv6@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: New Routing Header!!!

Hi Velan,

I agree things are a bit confusing.

The idea however is very simple. A routing header is looked at only by
the node identified as the destination address in the IPv6 packet, so
the processing algorithm is to be done only on those nodes. A
firewall, any other middlebox, or even routers that do deep packet
processing (its done in a lot of ASIC's right now at line-rate) can
drop packets when they see discrepancies as identified in the draft
below.

The answer of how to process an unrecognized Routing Header is given
in page 12-13 of RFC2460. Do have a look and let me know if things are
clearer.

Thanks,
Vishwas