Re: [ire] question regarding IDN variant mapping, <orignialName> value

"Gould, James" <JGould@verisign.com> Mon, 12 May 2014 17:52 UTC

From: "Gould, James" <JGould@verisign.com>
To: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>, "ire@ietf.org" <ire@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 17:52:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.173.152.4]
Subject: Re: [ire] question regarding IDN variant mapping, <orignialName> value

Klaus,

My feedback is below.

--

JG

James Gould
Principal Software Engineer
jgould@verisign.com

703-948-3271 (Office)
12061 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190
VerisignInc.com

On 5/12/14, 2:13 PM, "Klaus Malorny" <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de> wrote:

>On 12.05.2014 15:12, Gould, James wrote:
>> Klaus,
>>
>> My feedback is embedded below.
>>

>Hi James,
>
>> The data escrow needs to reflect the possible set of data models, where
>> the only known model for related variants is a one-to-many relationship
>>of
>> OIDN to VIDN¹s as reflected in draft-kong-epp-idn-variants-mapping (
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kong-epp-idn-variants-mapping ) with
>> different levels of sharing (share all in your model #1 and NNDN, or
>>share
>> none or some in your model #2 and separate objects).
>
>Well, to my knowledge, registries are not bound to data models that are
>published as RFCs or expired drafts ;-). Also, the Kong mapping is
>clearly an
>implementation of model #1, and this assumes that the OIDN remains
>constant --
>otherwise, a domain "rename" would have to be implemented, like this can
>be done
>for the hosts. While this is not impossible, I haven't seen this in the
>wild...

I didn’t imply that the registries are bound to the OIDN and VIDN's data
model of draft-kong-idn-variants-mapping, but that a one-to-many
relationship was the only known relationship for variants.  Having a
primary OIDN that variants are enabled / disabled from is not as complex,
but it is certainly less flexible.

>> What you are
>> referring to is a different model that reflects a many-to-many
>> relationship with no concept of an OIDN, since all of the variants are
>> sibling objects (A, B, and C are related to each other with no
>>hierarchy).
>
>Yes -- more or less -- as this is a matter of definition.
>
>>  I¹m assuming that in your data model that you have some form of a link
>> table to reflect the relationship.
>
>This is still in the planning phase, however, there is no dedicated
>object or
>attribute whatever planned that is publicly visible.
>
>>  Are all related variants authorized to
>> a single registrant?  Does your system need to ensure that any of the
>> attributes remain the same, like the registrar and registrant, across
>>the
>> related variants?
>
>Yes, contacts need to be the same, and this constraint is enforced after
>the
>creation of the variants. You can take the Canadian registry (CIRA) as a
>prototype.

When changing the registrant (update) or registrar (transfer), does the
entire group of variants get updated at once?

>>  From an EPP perspective, do you have a custom EPP
>> extension to reflect the related variants, and if so can you reference
>>it
>> to help clarify things?
>
>Yes, there will be an extension, but it will only occur in responses, not
>in
>commands.
>
>> The data escrow is a representation of a data model, and it only makes
>> sense to ensure that all object references exist.  Your proposed
>>language
>> change defines a new variant group entity or tag that does not match the
>> existing supported data model.  To support your data model of a
>> many-to-many relationship, a new entity (or tag) "variant group" would
>> need to be defined.  Instead of using the <originalName> element to
>>refer
>> to a domain object (OIDN), something like <variantGroup> would be needed
>> to reference a variant group entity or be used to tag the variant group
>> string.  If <variantGroup> is a reference to an actual entity with
>> attributes, I¹m assuming that the variant group entity would be removed
>> once all variant references are removed. Are there other registries out
>> there that support a many-to-many relationship for variants?
>
>The proposal to concretize the <originalName> attribute in a manner that
>is
>compatible with our intended/the French model was simply meant to keep
>the
>effort low. I don't mind adding a new attribute of whatever name to the
>escrow
>format if this is considered the better way. However, I would like to
>avoid a
>separate new object type to which the "variantGroup" attribute is
>referring.
>Simply take it as the "city names on the map of domain names",
>figuratively
>spoken ;-) -- you won't link contact objects of persons living the same
>city to
>a "city" object in the escrow, just because they share that property...

If the many-to-many relationship does not have any additional attributes
that need to be deposited, then <variantGroup> could be a simple data type
(token) that is a tag for the variant group without any linkage to an
entity / object.  It’s best to leave the intent and meaning of
<originalName> as is and simply add a new element to handle this case.
The CSV model would add the corresponding optional
<csvDomain:fVariantGroup> and <csvNNDN:fVariantGroup> elements.  Does this
work for you?