Re: [Isis-wg] Comments on draft-xu-isis-flooding-reduction-in-msdc-00

Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com> Tue, 25 April 2017 08:46 UTC

From: Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>
To: Erik Auerswald <auerswald@fg-networking.de>, "isis-wg@ietf.org" <isis-wg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 08:46:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.184.181]
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] Comments on draft-xu-isis-flooding-reduction-in-msdc-00

Hi Erik,

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments. Please see my response inline.

Your observation is absolutely correct. It could be looked as an IETF standards compliant alternative to the Firepath to some extent.

> This idea can be realized using existing implementations, with additional
> possible optimizations via IS-IS extensions. In fact I built a lab today to play with
> the idea, using a couple of switches, one of which was used as controller, and
> the others as fabric switches.

It would be great if you could share more information about your experiment:)

> To prevent the "management network" of the draft to be used for data
> forwarding, high link costs on these interfaces, both on controller and fabric (i.e.
> non-controller) switches, suffices. This can and should be symmetrical, there is
> no need for asymmetrical link costs as proposed by e.g. openfabric. Another
> possibility is to set the overload bit for the controllers.

Right, another way to achieve the above goal is to use the overload bit. I will add it in the next version.

> RFC 2973, IS-IS Mesh Groups, can be used to prevent flooding on the data path
> links.

Could you explain more about how to apply the ISIS mesh group in the CLOS topology?

> The management network as described by the draft should not be interpreted
> as a virtual router or VRF. Thus the (often single) management port found on
> data center switches cannot be used for this purpose. Front ports need to be
> used instead. The Dell Z9100-ON switch, for example, provides two 1G/10G
> ports (in addition to 32 100G ports) that could be used for redundant controller
> connections.

Your understanding of the management network is correct. Thanks a lot for sharing the valuable information.

> The controllers can be implemented using switches, or using x86 servers
> running a routing daemon (e.g. BIRD, Quagga, ...). Small data center networks
> could use two switches as controllers with a direct connection from each data
> plane switch to each controller switch. If the fabric comprises more switches
> than can be connected to a single controller switch, two separate Ethernet
> networks comprised of standard switches can be used to connect two servers
> acting as controllers. Each controller and fabric switch could be connected to
> two independent Ethernet networks in a resiliency model similar to Fibre
> Channel networks (SAN A & SAN B).

Yes, the controller here plays the similar role as a BGP route server. Hence, it could be implemented on servers or switches.

Exactly. In fact, we have been considering applying Fibbing (http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2015/pdf/papers/p43.pdf) into our approach for traffic-engineering purpose.

> I'd say draft-xu-isis-flooding-reduction-in-msdc-00 shows a lot of potential. It
> even allows experimentation today using readily available parts (switches and
> open source routing daemons).

Thanks again for your valuable comments.

Best regards,
Xiaohu