Re: [Isis-wg] draft-raggarwa-isis-cap-00.txt

Naiming Shen <naiming@redback.com> Wed, 02 July 2003 22:27 UTC

To: Les Ginsberg <ginsberg@cisco.com>
Cc: stefano previdi <sprevidi@cisco.com>, Hannes Gredler <hannes@juniper.net>, jparker@axiowave.com, Jeff Learman <jlearman@cisco.com>, prz@xebeo.com, isis-wg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] draft-raggarwa-isis-cap-00.txt
From: Naiming Shen <naiming@redback.com>
Sender: isis-wg-admin@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:26:02 -0700

Les, Stefano, Hannes and Jeffs,

thanks for the good comments, a couple of things I want to mention
about this capability TLV.

- this TLV can be "flooded" over the entire IGP domain, not exactly
  like LSPs which is only confined in area/level.

- one of the purposes of this TLV is for network troubleshooting, so
  even if there are ways to exmain the entire fragments of LSPs from
  one particular router to find answer, it still helps to list
  all of them in a well-known place and a show command can list them
  all together. I think this will be easier than to find a way to
  dump raw ISIS packets and search for one particular feature.

- the capabilities of this TLV can be group into 3 categories,
   (1) for protocol functionality, such as the Path computation
  application for example;
   (2) for software to detect misconfig or mismatch
  automatically, for example, short/wide capability bits. We can
  specify here(not yet) if one supports short-only, short-and-wide
  or wide-only mode, we can announce them with those two bits. If
  any router in the area detect a mismatch(i only run wide-only,
  and someone in the area runs short-only), it can spit out a
  warning message. NOTICE, this is not for protocol use, protocol
  can still run as is, but it gives us a powerful auto-checking
  mechanism to detect errors during transtion. This may not just
  be short/wide application, other transitions later on, for example,
  diff IPv6 schemes which requires area wide coordination, we could
  use that;
   (3) informational. this is only for operators troubleshooting,
  rathar than ask them to have tcpdump on ISIS packets and
  search for TLVs, it allows a router to announce them explicitly
  in a well-known TLV(not to mention for non-LSP related things).
  Most of the routers now have a way to display system-id vs hostname
  using dynamic-hostname TLV, similarly they can
  later on have a command to display the router-id, with a list of
  capabilities. Certain things like IPv6 capability, it will be nice
  to know this router is capable of running IPv6 in the current
  version of software, but (maybe due to misconfig or something) none
  of the interfaces is configured with IPv6, then even you dump the
  packets, there is no indication of "IPv6 capability" of the router.

- I do agree with most of you that, in the current draft, the meaning
  of each capability is unclear. We need to list each one of them(if
  they are needed) to define exactly the meaning of them, and how do
  people use them, the short/wide bit is a good example. People should
  comment on those and we'll include them in the next version.

some comments inline,