Re: [Isis-wg] draft-noguchi-isis-protocol-topology-00.txt

Jeff Learman <jlearman@cisco.com> Wed, 05 February 2003 14:15 UTC

To: Philip Christian <philip.christian@iname.com>
From: Jeff Learman <jlearman@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] draft-noguchi-isis-protocol-topology-00.txt
Cc: naiming@redback.com, kay@ipinfusion.com, sprevidi@cisco.com, isis-wg@ietf.org
Sender: isis-wg-admin@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:13:42 -0500

At 05:23 AM 2/5/2003, Philip Christian wrote:
>I also have serious problems with this draft.
>
>1. Integrated IS-IS was originally architected as an "Integrated" routing protocol to route both CLNP and IPv4 in a single SPF.  The problem of running IPv4 and IPv6 together is not a new problem, it is actually exactly the same one that RFC 1195 was originally written to deal with (but with v4 and CLNP).  Integrated IS-IS will work just as well with v4 and v6 as it did with v4 and CLNP.  This draft attempts to unravel this behaviour by having separate SPFs.  This is contrary to the original architecture of Integrated IS-IS (it isn't even "integrated") and contrary to section 3.10 of RFC 1195 where it says
>
>   "The Dijkstra computation does not take into consideration whether a
>   router is IP-only, OSI-only, or dual. The topological restrictions
>   specified in section 1.4 ensure that IP packets will only be sent via
>   IP-capable routers, and OSI packets will only be sent via OSI-capable
>   routers."
>
>This is not just some detail, but a fundamental behaviour of the protocol.
>
>Consequently there is no interoperability between this draft and RFC 1195.

I disagree.  An implementation that runs multiple SPFs will interoperate
perfectly with one that doesn't in any topology that meets 1195's
deployment restrictions, so there is NO interoperability problem until
you go BEYOND RFC-1195.

I have long been a supporter of running multiple SPFs (personally, not
as a spokesman for Cisco).  However, it is clear to me that there is
little or no support for this idea among router vendors.

My suspicion now is that many IPV4/IPV6 migration issues can be
mitigated by use of MPLS, and new complex schemes to allow arbitrary
topologies are unnecessary.

Regards,
Jeff