Re: [Isis-wg] Fwd: Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-isis-bfd-tlv (IS-IS BFD EnabledTLV) to Proposed Standard

"Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com> Wed, 22 September 2010 16:50 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:51:09 -0700
From: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>
To: "Stewart Bryant (stbryant)" <stbryant@cisco.com>, isis-wg <isis-wg@ietf.org>, lan7801@gmail.com, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] Fwd: Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-isis-bfd-tlv (IS-IS BFD EnabledTLV) to Proposed Standard

(Stewart - thanx for calling this to our attention)

Jiaxing -

Sorry for the delayed response, but as you did not copy the IS-IS WG your post was not seen.

I am reluctant to add this option to the TLV. Local configuration is required to specify which IP address should be used in cases where multiple addresses are configured on the interface. If there is a mismatch between what is configured on two neighbors then having the advertisement will not help us insure that matching subnets are used - so it seems that we have not made life any easier/better by adding this information in the TLV.

>  To avoid confusion,it is better to specify that the IS-IS must
> triggere BFD session establishment before the adjacency is in UP state.

The point of the draft is to REQUIRE that the BFD session be UP before the IS-IS adjacency transitions to UP - but only when it is known that BFD is enabled on both neighbors. This avoids failure to bring up an adjacency simply because of mismatched configurations (i.e. one IS has BFD support and the other does not).

>  There is another scenario we must consider. When the state of IS-IS
> adjacency is UP and the administrator trys to configure BFD or modify
>  BFD configuration, IS-IS should discard the  first BFD session failure
> ,IS-IS can trust BFD session state only after
>  BFD session has informed IS-IS a BFD session success.

This point is addressed in Section 4 of the draft.

   Les