Re: [Isis-wg] ISIS-Autocon-06-//FW: New Version Notification for draft-liu-isis-auto-conf-06.txt

Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de> Mon, 14 December 2015 07:01 UTC

Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 23:01:36 -0800
From: Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de>
To: Liubing <leo.liubing@huawei.com>
Cc: "isis-wg@ietf.org list" <isis-wg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] ISIS-Autocon-06-//FW: New Version Notification for draft-liu-isis-auto-conf-06.txt

Hello Bing,

thanks for the reply. I admit I did not read the "LSP war" as an active
method to resolve the convergence for unique system IDs. Thanks for the
clarification.

Reading your draft (again) how the router finger print should be generated,
the problems you have faced etc. I have a few questions:

From your experience it may be difficult on smaller devices to have good
random numbers (initially at least). Now RFC7503 also addresses Homenet. They
have implementation on bird/quagga (probably others too but these are
explicitly mentioned) and seem to master this problem with less
rules/complexity. Thus my question if we can achieve the result with less
rules?  Did you have a discussion with the authors of RFC7503 about this?
What "trick" do they know? :-)

I do appreciate you cover the case of a double-duplication and agree this is
comprehensive. If this would guarantee convergence towards uniqueness I would
applaud. But it doesn't. It increases the chances of detection as having
complete LSPs (size >> 32) being identical should be less likely than
generating identical 32 byte fingerprints. But theoretically you could have
identical LSPs.

There is a subtle difference between your draft and RFC7503: RFC7503 proposes
to _concatenate_ multiple information, including MAC or EUI-64. Your section
3.3.3 talks about "seed" and hashing or pseudo-random numbers based on it.
Now, if you use e.g. the vendor name (or software name), software/OS version,
detected hardware etc. and concatenate them to a router fingerprint then you
turn the problem of unique router fingerprints into a per-vendor problem.

Long story short, my question (and motivation) is if we can achieve
interoperability with a smaller algorithm by effectively forcing
vendors/software to provide uniqueness for the router fingerprint. Your LSP
war is clearly inventive :-) but it also causes churn. Maybe ok ... .

Regards, Marc