[Isis-wg] Comments on draft-chen-isis-sl-overheads-reduction-00.txt

Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org> Mon, 03 April 2017 17:13 UTC

From: Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>
To: "Chenzhe (NGIP Lab)" <chenzhe17@huawei.com>
Cc: "isis-wg@ietf.org list (isis-wg@ietf.org)" <isis-wg@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 13:13:42 -0400
Subject: [Isis-wg] Comments on draft-chen-isis-sl-overheads-reduction-00.txt

Hi Zhe,

So to expand on what was mentioned in the meeting. This solution is
specifically changing the base standard in an incompatible way to
accomplish it's goal. Multiple area addresses are a case in the base
standard used for:

7.1.5 Manual area addresses

    Within a routeing domain, it is often convenient to associate more
    than one area address with an area. There are a number of reasons
    why assigning more than one area address may be useful, including
    the following.

    a) There may be more than one addressing authority involved in the
    assignment of addresses in the routeing domain, yet it is not
    efficient to require a separate area for each addressing domain.

    b) At times it may be necessary to reconfigure a routeing domain by
    dividing an area into two of more areas, or combining a number of
    areas into a single area. These reconfigurations could not be done
    during normal routeing domain operation if only a single area
    address per area were permitted.

You'll also run into problems with maximumAreaAddresses which has been 3
(or the value 0 which implies 3) for so long that it may be invariant in
deployed implementations. In any case this value would have to be
changed to be greater than the maximum number of leaf nodes on all
routers b/c:

IIH's
8.2.5.2 (a.1) If the Maximum Area Addresses field of the PDU is not
    equal to the value of the IS’s maximumAreaAddresses then the PDU
    shall be discarded and a maximumAreaAddresses-Mismatch event
    generated, unless the IS only implements a value of three for
    maximumArea-Addresses, in which case this check may be omitted.

LSPs
7.3.15.1 (a.5):
    If this is a level 1 LSP, and the Maximum Area Addresses field of
    the PDU is not equal to the value of the IS’s maximumAreaAddresses
    then the PDU shall be discarded and a maximumAreaAddresses-Mismatch
    event generated, unless the IS only implements a value of three for
    maximumArea-Addresses, in which case this check may be omitted.

SNP
[same] ...

Thanks,
Chris.