Re: [Isis-wg] 答复: Call for WG Adoption for draft-you-isis-flowspec-extensions-04

Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de> Sun, 06 March 2016 23:56 UTC

Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2016 15:56:48 -0800
From: Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de>
To: Youjianjie <youjianjie@huawei.com>
Cc: Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>, "isis-wg@ietf.org" <isis-wg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] 答复: Call for WG Adoption for draft-you-isis-flowspec-extensions-04

Hello Jianjie,

sorry for my delayed reply.

> I'm not sure RFC6823 could be appropriate for supporting dissemination of
> FlowSpec rules.

I guess your reply is based on another comment you made ...

> "[...] we think FlowSpec is more like a n-tuple route."

... and I would disagree with the n-tuple _route_. What flowspec distributes
is a policy/filter, aiming to interrupt by dropping, rate-limiting,
quarantining etc..

> Can it be regarded as an example of application of RFC6823?

well, everything can be treated as application :-) if it is not needed by
IS-IS to do it's main task and IS-IS internal data is not needed for the new
task. In this case I would say yes, we can. What you want from IS-IS is
transporting flowspec data through the domain.

> If it could, then we need to define FlowSpec under the framework of RFC6823?

yes, you would need to request an application ID and would move the
(sub-)TLVs you define in your draft into the TLV 251 framework.

Separating the IS-IS main functionality from transporting flow-spec
information will have an impact on section 4.1.2. "Validation Procedure" in
your draft. This procedure seems a 1:1 copy from the original BGP work. For
IS-IS I don't see the point. And draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid actually
modifies the rules for BGP to accept any originator in your administrative
domain, which translated into IS-IS means "no check".

I would propose to drop this validation check in your draft.

Saying all this: I still think this is best done by a controller programming
flow-spec into network elements; YANG models help here. This is outside of
what routing protocols should be involved in.

Regards, Marc