Re: [Isms] SNMP "access control" terminology

"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com> Mon, 03 July 2006 07:15 UTC

From: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
To: isms@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Isms] SNMP "access control" terminology
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 00:16:21 -0700

Hi -

Does the distinction between (a) and (b) matter?  It's a question
of what attacks would be possible by the set of users who could
be authenticated but not "authorized" who would somehow be able
to cause mischief despite being prevented from "doing" anything by
the access control model.  I think this boils down to DoS attacks,
and would perhaps be more interesting than in a USM world if
sessions consumed substantial resources.

> c) mapping of security names to group names (roles)
>    (requires to call radius within VACM or cached information must be
>    passed to VACM from somewhere, requires to work out how such
>    dynamic information coexists with provisioned VACM security to
>    group mappings)
>
> I think this is what <draft-narayan-isms-sshsm-radius-00.txt>
> discusses.

Randy