Re: [Isms] DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-isms-transport-security-model

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Tue, 05 May 2009 17:23 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: 'Adrian Farrel' <adrian.farrel@huawei.com>, iesg@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 13:25:02 -0400
Cc: draft-ietf-isms-transport-security-model@tools.ietf.org, isms@ietf.org, isms-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Isms] DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-isms-transport-security-model

Hi,

I am changing the sources with the requested changes.
comments inline

David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net
ietfdbh@comcast.net
dharrington@huawei.com

I discussed this with some of the MIB Doctors.
These counters should behave in the normal manner, as defined in
rfc2578:
7.1.6.  Counter32

   The Counter32 type represents a non-negative integer which
   monotonically increases until it reaches a maximum value of 2^32-1
   (4294967295 decimal), when it wraps around and starts increasing
   again from zero.

   Counters have no defined "initial" value, and thus, a single value
of
   a Counter has (in general) no information content.  Discontinuities
   in the monotonically increasing value normally occur at re-
   initialization of the management system, and at other times as
   specified in the description of an object-type using this ASN.1
type.

There are no anticipated discontinuities other than re-initialization
of the management system.
This behavior is consistent with other SNMP-system counters, such as
those in the User-based Security Model.

> Comment:
> Section 1.2
> Helpful if s/STD62/STD62 [RFC3411]/

I deliberately did not provide a reference to a specific RFC.
STD62 refers to 8 RFCs.
The terminology under discussion in section 1.2 is not limited to
RFC3411.
I think it is correct to just reference STD62 in this case without a
citation.

> Section 1.5
> You seem to fluctuate in your usage of RFC 2119 language.
> In bullet 3, I suggest s/may not/might not/

I will search out instances of lowercase may/should/must and either
make them RFC2119 compliant or change the word.

> Section 2.3.1
> Notwithstanding the requirement to read the reference material,
please
> expand ASI on first use.

done.

> Section 3.1.2
> "REQUIRES" is not in the RFC 2119 lexicon.

fixed.

> Section 3.1.3
> "and other MIB modules" is a bit vague.

Yes, but a complete list would be distracting, and a moving target.

> Section 3.1.3
>    IANA maintains a registry for transport domains and the
> corresponding
>    prefix.
> Would be helpful to include a pointer (perhaps by registry name, or
by
> defining RFC) to this registry.

done.

> Section 7
> Useful if FROM clauses can give a comment that shows the RFC that
> defines the module from which the import is taken.
> For example
> FROM SNMPv2-SMI  -- RFC 2578

done