[Isms] SSH tunneling and SNMPv3

"David B Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Fri, 18 February 2005 16:56 UTC

From: David B Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: 'Martin Soukup' <msoukup@nortel.com>, 'Wes Hardaker' <hardaker@tislabs.com>, isms@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:48:51 -0500
Subject: [Isms] SSH tunneling and SNMPv3
Sender: isms-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Martin,

It is important to identify, preferably using SecSH terms and
references, just what "SSH tunneling" means.

SecSh Transport Layer Protocol provides authentication, integrity
checking, and encryption.
from draft-ietf-secsh-transport-22.txt: "Authentication in this
protocol level is host-based; this protocol does not perform user
authentication.  A higher level protocol for user authentication can
be designed on top of this protocol." SNMPv3 is designed to provide
per-user controlled access to data, so host authentication is
inadequate to meet the design goals for SNMPv3 (that were established
by IETF consensus).

The SecSH Authentication Protocol (draft-ietf-secsh-userauth-25.txt)
provides user authentication, and that comes closer to meeting SNMPv3
per-user requirements. However, it is necessary to have a binding
between the user authentication of SecSH and the user identity used
for per-user access control. I could use SecSH authentication to
establish a session for user "dbh", and then pass an SNMPv1 message
claiming rights to the "super-user" community (or an SNMPv3 message
claiming a USM identity of "super-user" rather than dbh). There needs
to be a binding between the authentication of the user and the
application of access permissions for that user. So either SecSH needs
to be pass the authenticated user identity to the SNMP engine so SNMP
can apply appropriate access control, or SNMP has to perform its own
user authentication independent of SecSH.

Also, SNMPv3 provides a wealth of features beyond authentication and
privacy that are important to some, but not all, environments. I won't
go into them here, because that is not within the scope of this WG. I
leave it to you to understand the benefits of engineID,
contextEngineID, a standardized proxy, a standardized notification
addressing mechanism, a standardized notification filtering mechanism,
etc.

David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net