[Isms] ISMS solution seslection procedure

Juergen Quittek <quittek@netlab.nec.de> Thu, 23 September 2004 15:49 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:23:00 +0200
From: Juergen Quittek <quittek@netlab.nec.de>
To: isms@ietf.org
Subject: [Isms] ISMS solution seslection procedure
Sender: isms-bounces@ietf.org

Dear all,

Welcome to the ISMS working group!

We have a very ambitious schedule and need to start discussing how we want
to achieve our goal in time.

Our major objective is selecting a solution for integrating SNMP with a
security infrastructure as described in the charter.  The charter also
defines a submission deadline for solutions, but it does not specify the
selection process.  This message is a first step towards an agreement on
the selection process.

Basically, we have to evaluate all submitted solutions and then select one.
For the evaluation we need a list of evaluation criteria and evaluators.

Wes already spent a lot of time on identifying criteria/requirements.
We should start with his list and discuss it on a separate email thread.

Concerning the evaluators it can be useful to have a look at other WGs.
Similar selections were made in the SEAMOBY, IPFIX and MIDCOM
WGs.  In the SEAMOBY WG the chairs evaluated proposed solutions,
in the IPFIX and MIDCOM WGs an evaluations team performed this
task.  Since SEAMOBY decision ended up in a disaster (shutting down the
entire work item at the IETF) it might be a good idea to go the way
of IPFIX and MIDCOM where the decisions went reasonably well.
Of course we are free to go our own way and our experiences may be
completely different from the ones made in SEAMOBY, IPFIX and MIDCOM.

So, please give us your opinion on the evaluators.  Do you prefer
  - the WG chairs
  - an evaluation team
  - others
???

The evaluators should prepare a written evaluation and give a recommendation.
Preferably the evaluation and recommendation should be available as an
Internet draft, see for example

  <http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-seamoby-paging-protocol-assessment-01.txt>
  <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-leinen-ipfix-eval-contrib-03.txt>
  <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-midcom-protocol-eval-06.txt>.

Ideally, a first version of this draft (containing the final list of
evaluation criteria, but probably not yet any evaluation) would already
be posted by the deadline for submitting solutions.

Then we need to hurry to get to a recommendation in November.

Please send any comment, suggestion, opinion on the selection procedure.
And since little time is left, please send it rather soon than late.

Thanks,

Ken and Juergen