Re: [geonet/its] Internet-wide Geonetworking problem statement and challenges/open issues - sidebar

"Carl Reed" <creed@opengeospatial.org> Sat, 16 November 2013 01:08 UTC

From: Carl Reed <creed@opengeospatial.org>
To: Rex Buddenberg <buddenbergr@gmail.com>, karagian@cs.utwente.nl
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:06:26 -0700
Cc: George Percivall <gpercivall@opengeospatial.org>, its@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [geonet/its] Internet-wide Geonetworking problem statement and challenges/open issues - sidebar

Rex -

Other than CAP, OASIS has a Geography Markup Language (GML) Simple Features
profile for use in OASIS standards. This profile is currently used in the
EDXL suite of OASIS standards for encoding location. The next major revision
to CAP may as well reference this GML simple features profile. GML is also
used in NIEM - see the OGC project titled Geo4NIEM. A GML application schema
is used by the internet community to define what they call geodetic
(coordinate) location objects (LO). This LO is used by numerous RFCs.

GML is an OGC standard that is also double branded as an ISO international
standard. GML consists of a number of packages. A key package is geometry,
which the above examples use. The geometry package is based on an abstract
model documented in ISO 19107: Spatial Schema.

GML is an XML schema which may make GML not appropriate for the form of
Geonetworking being considered by this group. However, how one defines
geometries should be consistent with ISO 19107. This would make any encoding
consistent at a data model level with geographic encodings be used by OASIS,
the OGC, the US Government (the DISR), the European Community (INSPIRE),
ISO, and other groups in the IETF.

Cheers

Carl Reed, PhD
CTO