Re: [ipwave] Adaptive RESTful Real-time Live Streaming for Things (A-REaLiST)'

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Thu, 24 January 2019 11:17 UTC

To: its@ietf.org
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 12:17:48 +0100
Subject: Re: [ipwave] Adaptive RESTful Real-time Live Streaming for Things (A-REaLiST)'

Le 24/01/2019 à 05:07, Abhijan Bhattacharyya a écrit :
> Dear list,
> We submitted a draft in CoRE with a technical proposal for efficient
> transfer of time-series stream and presented in IETF Bangkok. The
> immediate use case that we considered was to transfer First Person View
> (FPV) video from a remote drone to a control unit over IP based
> infrastructure. We built it on CoAP leveraging some of CoAP's unique
> features.

Hi,

Thank you for the message.

I have seen another drone from DLR that communicates with a van, but not
using CoAP.  It uses TCP/IP family of protocols.

I understand the need to transfer video (First-Person View, FPV), but I
do not understand how CoAP helps with video.

Video over IPv6 over OCB works fine between vehicles.

In the future, with the hopeful development of 802.11-NGV (Next
Generation Vehicular), I expect latencies in the order of hundreds of
micro-seconds, and 1Gbps bandwidths.  I think video over IP, and lidar
streams over IP, would take advantage of that.

Why CoAP?

> The ambition is to create a protocol stack that would be
> equally good in sending small sporadic bytes (sensor data) as well as
> streaming infinite time-series (like live video) while ensuring good QoE
> despite being low on resource consumption.

But such a multi-feature protocol is also claimed by Google with QUIC
protocol.  Why not QUIC?

> The draft is available here:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bhattacharyya-core-a-realist-00
>
> Probably, the use case that we had in mind and the technology we
> proposed, both can be extended to the purview of this WG.
>
> Requesting your views on this draft please.. If relevant then we can
> present this draft in Prague.

I can look at the draft, but I need to understand why CoAP?

Video per se is not a sufficient reason to use CoAP, I think.

(and yes, I do agree there are strong IP requirements for video in
drones, like multi-cameras, multiple laser, infrared, and others)

Alex