Re: [geonet/its] challenges proposed by Dimitri

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Fri, 10 January 2014 16:46 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:46:26 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Carl Reed <creed@opengeospatial.org>
Cc: Georgios Karagiannis <karagian@cs.utwente.nl>, its@ietf.org, Dino Farinacci <farinacci@gmail.com>, dimitri papadimitriou <dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject: Re: [geonet/its] challenges proposed by Dimitri

Le 10/01/2014 01:07, Carl Reed a écrit :
> Alex -
>
> Depends on your requirements - such as types of geometry required
> (such as point, linestring, polygon, circle, etc), requirement for
> "compactness", and so forth.

Makes sense.  Also I think we'd need to decide that these are
three-dimensional volumes from the start, not just 2D.  For example when
many highways branches pass one under another, their RSUs would be
visible from up above of the other way.

> Also, does the encoding need to be binary or is XML or JSON OK.

Right, I wonder whether any draft or RFC offers XML or JSON
representations of geography concepts at IETF.

> The best way to start is to define a content model that is encoding
> agnostic and then provide encodings.

I agree, it's a good distinction.  The content model could be something
like "GPS coordinates with WGS-84", and the encoding could be "XML".

> Check out georss.org for an example. There is also the GeoPriv
> geodetic encoding (Location Object):
> portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=21630‎ . This is an XML
> encoding based on GML.

Thanks.

Is this an IETF document?  (I did click on it, but I can't understand).

> I am out of the office for a couple of days. More later.

Thanks,

Alex