Re: [ipwave] FW: ipwave - comments and concerns - 1609 WAVE, EPD - towards resolution

"Kevin Smith" <kevin.s.smith@cox.net> Sun, 18 March 2018 18:11 UTC

From: Kevin Smith <kevin.s.smith@cox.net>
To: dickroy@alum.mit.edu, 'Tijink Jasja' <Jasja.Tijink@kapsch.net>, 'Alexandre Petrescu' <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Cc: its@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 11:11:40 -0700
Subject: Re: [ipwave] FW: ipwave - comments and concerns - 1609 WAVE, EPD - towards resolution

Hello All,

Thank you Dick for the clarification regarding Ethernet II: It has been
incorporated into IEEE 802.3. I suspected it but didn't have the time to dig
into it. I believe it is accurate to say that if we write "Ethernet frame"
then we are talking about a frame specified by IEEE 802.3.

Regarding using QoS data frames - ipwave does not intend to state that it is
a requirement in 802.11. Clearly 802.11 lists several options for frame
types when operating OCB. However ipwave (if for example it were a profile
of 1609.3) is requiring that QoS data frames be used.

The text, that I wrote, on review, is ambiguous.  However Alex has restated
it as "IP packets MUST be transmitted over 802.11-OCB media as QoS Data
frames whose format is specified in IEEE Std 802.11."

Best,
Kevin