[Jmap] Paul Wouters' Discuss on draft-ietf-jmap-quotas-10: (with DISCUSS)

Paul Wouters via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 15 December 2022 03:20 UTC

From: Paul Wouters via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-jmap-quotas@ietf.org, jmap-chairs@ietf.org, jmap@ietf.org, brong@fastmailteam.com, brong@fastmailteam.com
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 19:20:05 -0800
Subject: [Jmap] Paul Wouters' Discuss on draft-ietf-jmap-quotas-10: (with DISCUSS)

Paul Wouters has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-jmap-quotas-10: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jmap-quotas/

DISCUSS:

Thanks to Wes for his SECDIR review:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-jmap-quotas-07-secdir-lc-hardaker-2022-11-17/
Some of his feedback seems to have already made it into the latest version of
the document.

I feel the types of quota limits has an interoperability issue ?

There are three limits: limit, warnLimit and softLimit. First, it would make
sense to rename the confusingly named "limit" to hardLimit.

I was puzzled about warnLimit not being the same as softLimit. What other
things does softLimit do than warn the user? Well, that is explained below this
and turns out to be "whatever the mailserver wants this to be". This is not
good for user expectations, unless they would get a detailed description along
with the warning what things will get blocked at the softLimit level, as there
is no longer a universal concept of what would happen at the softLimit level.
The examples in the document do not seem to use the description field for this
required user feedback. So when I get a warning from softLimit from Hotmail,
this could cause different limitations from when I get a warning from Gmail.
But as far as I can tell, the warning appears identical if the softLimit is
hit? Or did I miss where custom text can be given to the enduser for such
triggers?