Re: [jose] Issue #102 - Bullet B

"Manger, James H" <James.H.Manger@team.telstra.com> Fri, 04 October 2013 04:35 UTC

From: "Manger, James H" <James.H.Manger@team.telstra.com>
To: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>, "jose@ietf.org" <jose@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 14:34:55 +1000
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-AU
Subject: Re: [jose] Issue #102 - Bullet B

“collision resistant namespaces” is a broken concept in JOSE docs (and JWT) because, of course, you lose collision-resistance when you combine namespaces as is done here.

My suggestion for JWT was < http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-json-web-token-11>:

Could the reserved/public/private mess be simplified by saying (at the end of section 4 "JWT Claims"):

  A claim name can be any string. Using URIs as claim names is one

  way to ensure claim names are unambiguous. Claim names that are

  not URIs SHOULD be registered in the IANA Claims registry [section 9.1]

Then drop the last paragraph of section 4 "JWT claims" that starts "there are three classes of JWT Claim Names"; drop section 4.2 "Public claim names"; drop section 4.3 "Private claim names"; drop the "collision resistant namespace" term.

Similar language can apply to “alg” values, header parameters names, etc.

--
James Manger