Re: [jose] Call for adoption

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Thu, 14 February 2013 08:04 UTC

From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:03:58 +0200
To: Richard Barnes <rlb@ipv.sx>
Cc: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>, Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>, "jose@ietf.org" <jose@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [jose] Call for adoption

Hi Jim,

I agree with Richard on the serialization documents.

On the use cases I have a mixed view. As we have seen in the OAuth working group with use cases it is easy to get the group to add a new use case document but very difficult to get others to find reviewers to get it finished. I am not sure what the target audience would be with such a document.

Let's assume that the audience for the document is the JOSE group. First, the requirements are not really adding a lot to the discussion since they are really basic (more or less what can be found in the charter). The use cases in Section 4 are out-of-date and are typically better described in the referenced documents. One of the four use cases is obsolete by now: the ATOCA use case is gone with the decisions from the last IETF meeting since the group entire group got trashed. ALTO IMHO does not seem to go anywhere either.

Sorry if I do not get excited anymore about the value of use case (and requirements) documents. The main challenges are that

a) you don't want to describe use cases that relate to work where it hasn't even been decided to use the specific technology (in this case JSON), and
b) when a use case of interest to the group is found that requires additional functionality then a new extension/solution is defined in a separate document that typically provides a better description than in the use case document itself.

Consequently, the value of separate use case document goes close to zero.

Ciao
Hannes