Re: [jose] RSASSA-PSS signature

"Peck, Michael A" <mpeck@mitre.org> Tue, 12 March 2013 21:10 UTC

From: "Peck, Michael A" <mpeck@mitre.org>
To: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>, Richard Barnes <rlb@ipv.sx>, John Bradley <ve7jtb@ve7jtb.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:10:05 +0000
x-originating-ip: [129.83.31.57]
Cc: "jose@ietf.org" <jose@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [jose] RSASSA-PSS signature

My original message was not about encryption algorithms, it was about the RSASSA-PSS signature algorithm, which is not in JWA at all (I also don't see it listed in Mike's spreadsheet).

If you'd like to bring up encryption algorithms too, RFC 3447 states:
   Two encryption schemes are specified in this document: RSAES-OAEP and
   RSAES-PKCS1-v1_5.  RSAES-OAEP is recommended for new applications;
   RSAES-PKCS1-v1_5 is included only for compatibility with existing
   applications, and is not recommended for new applications.

10 years later, it may be appropriate to start encouraging movement away from RSAES-PKCS1-v1_5 rather than further encouraging its use.
Should the CFRG be asked for an opinion?

Mike