Re: [Json] Security Considerations

Stefan Drees <stefan@drees.name> Sun, 09 June 2013 08:49 UTC

Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 10:49:27 +0200
From: Stefan Drees <stefan@drees.name>
To: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
Cc: json@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Json] Security Considerations

On 2013-06-09 06:25, John Levine wrote:
>>     An implementation may set limits on any of the following: the size
>>     of texts that it accepts, the maximum depth of nesting, the range of
>>     numbers, and the length and character contents of strings.
>
> Probably should say something about the precision of numbers.  With a
> limited precision internal representation, two numbers that are
> different in the JSON could end up equal internally.

yes, thus I propose as NEW:

"""
4.  Parsers

    A JSON parser transforms JSON text into another representation,
    MUST accept all texts that conform to the JSON grammar and MUST be
    prepared to either accept duplicate names in objects or reject the
    complete JSON text containing these.
    A JSON parser MAY accept non-JSON forms or extensions.

    An implementation may set limits on any of the following: the size
    of texts that it accepts, the maximum depth of nesting, the range
    and precision of numbers, and the length and character contents of
    strings.

"""

I think simply extending the caveat for numbers to range and precision
is sufficient, as integral numbers are to be considered having precision
0 and it all starts with a "may" ;-)

Stefan.