Re: [karp] [kmart] Automated Key Management for Router Updates

Brian Weis <bew@cisco.com> Wed, 28 October 2009 18:03 UTC

From: Brian Weis <bew@cisco.com>
To: Thomas Hardjono <ietf@hardjono.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:03:39 -0700
Cc: karp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [karp] [kmart] Automated Key Management for Router Updates

Hi Thomas,

On Oct 28, 2009, at 8:00 AM, Thomas Hardjono wrote:

> Bill, folks,
>
> I read through the paper -- interesting use of GDOI.
>
> I'm kind of thinking that the KARP problem has multiple faces/phases
> (similar if not identical to the NIST 800-57 lifecycle):
>
> (a) Initialization phase, where all the entities (routers) somehow
> obtains
> the relevant keying material.
>
> (b) Operational phases, where the routers use or exercise the keys.
>
> (c) Maintenance phase, where security maintenance is performed (eg.
> backup
> of keys, migration to new router, re-initialization, etc. etc).
>
> (d) Decommissioning phase, where routers are taken off the network
> in a
> graceful (and secure) way, and their keys logged elsewhere (for legal
> purposes) and then nuked.

That's a good overview of life cycle key management, and it might be a
good topic for the OPSEC WG.

> Many IT folks in medium to large Enterprises dislike having to
> install and
> operate yet another management console (for another part or aspect
> of their
> network and IT). So it would a good design goal for the KARP WG to
> allow the
> resulting KARP protocol to be "integrate-able" to existing network
> management consoles (read products) that implement device-management
> protocols (eg. WS-Man, DMTF DASH/MASH, etc etc).  Some of these
> existing
> protocols could be used for one or more of the phases above.
>
> For key management specifically, perhaps the KARP WG could look at
> re-using
> the Oasis KMIP work (Key Management Interoperability Protocol).
> Something
> like a router-specific profile could be created. The KMIT spec already
> support a number of key formats (packing format), as well as transport
> methods.

Thanks for pointing out this work. A KARP WG (should it be formed)
could consider the KMIP key when it begins work on automated key
management. However, specifying the use of (or changes to) protocols
developed outside of the IETF might be an issue. I'd welcome further
thoughts on this once a WG is formed and thinking about automated key
management.

Thanks,
Brian