[karp] FW: I-D Action: draft-atwood-karp-akam-rp-01.txt

John William Atwood <william.atwood@concordia.ca> Tue, 17 July 2012 02:13 UTC

From: John William Atwood <william.atwood@concordia.ca>
To: "karp@ietf.org" <karp@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 02:14:03 +0000
x-originating-ip: [132.205.244.5]
Cc: "revathi.bs@gmail.com" <revathi.bs@gmail.com>
Subject: [karp] FW: I-D Action: draft-atwood-karp-akam-rp-01.txt

We have posted draft-atwood-karp-akam-rp-01, which presents what we believe is a general architecture and protocols for achieving key management and adjacency management for Routing Protocol updates.  This is a component of the solution for one of the goals of KARP:
  - Define one or more frameworks describing the common elements for modern authentication in routing protocols.

Some preliminary ideas were presented at IETF 83 in Paris.  At that time, we had no corresponding Internet Draft.  The draft that has been posted today represents the completion of the first phase of work in our laboratory at Concordia.  It is a mix of justification and proposed solutions; it was presented this way (literally copy-pasting from Revathi's thesis) to get the information onto the screens of the Working Group members as quickly as possible.  We apologize for the fact that the figures are not in the draft; version -03 will be presented as soon as the submission tool re-opens (Sunday, July 29 at 17:00 Vancouver time), and will contain the missing ASCII art, once we translate from the figures in the thesis.

Our hope is to stimulate discussion on the suitability of the proposed approach.  We have asked for a presentation slot at IETF 84 in Vancouver.  If we get positive feedback, then we will present future revisions to the draft that will move it from a design document to a protocol specification.  If it is appropriate, we will produce two documents: one stating requirements for Automatic Key Management (AKM), and the other specifying the message exchanges among the components of the AKM framework.

Any and all comments are welcome, before, during, or after IETF 84.

Bill and Revathi

Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:william.atwood@concordia.ca
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill