Re: WGLC on draft-ietf-kitten-rfc2853bis-04

"Mayank Upadhyay" <mayank+ietf-kitten@google.com> Fri, 25 July 2008 21:05 UTC

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:05:15 -0700
From: Mayank Upadhyay <mayank+ietf-kitten@google.com>
To: Wesley Leggette <wleggette@cleversafe.com>
Subject: Re: WGLC on draft-ietf-kitten-rfc2853bis-04
Cc: kitten@ietf.org
Sender: kitten-bounces@ietf.org

Wesley,

It's not unusual for the base Java platform (J2SE) to have additional
requirements over what the JGSS API defines. Interaction with JAAS has
traditionally been one of those areas.

JGSS is unique in the sense that the API was originally defined at the IETF,
but since it is included in J2SE, it also had to go though the Java
Community Process (JCP) to be adopted. The JCP experts group placed
additional requirements that had to do with JAAS interaction. These were
only specified in the javadocs for J2SE (e.g.,
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/org/ietf/jgss/package-summary.html#useSubjectCredsOnly),
and not in the JGSS RFC.

It was also realized at the time, that we would need a way to convert back
from GSSCredential to a JAAS Subject. So Sun provided an API specific to
Sun's JRE to do this. Please see:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/jre/api/security/jgss/spec/com/sun/security/jgss/GSSUtil.html.
It wasn't pushed through as a standard J2SE API because we were unsure if it
would suffice.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to take the issue up with Sun and ask
if the com.sun.jgss.GSSUtil API could be moved into J2SE as part of a
standard auth package like javax.security.auth? There are already other
classes in this and its sub-packages related to this space.

-Mayank

2008/7/22 kitten-request <kitten-request@ietf.org>:

Today's Topics:

  1. Re: WGLC on draft-ietf-kitten-rfc2853bis-