Vintela's particpation in Kitten.

Matt Peterson <mpeterson@vintela.com> Fri, 11 March 2005 01:12 UTC

From: Matt Peterson <mpeterson@vintela.com>
To: Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@columbia.edu>, kitten@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:12:08 -0700
Subject: Vintela's particpation in Kitten.
Sender: kitten-bounces@ietf.org

Greetings,

In a previous email Jeff suggested that I might want to make a quick
introduction and write a little about why Vintela has is interested in
Kitten.

The short (marketing) version is that Vintela writes software for Unix
(Linux, Solaris, HPUX, AIX and other flavors) that allows Unix to
integrate with Microsoft backend solutions (Active Directory, Group
Policy, SMS, and MOM).  Microsoft has made an equity investment in
Vintela and  we've maintained a good relationship working with
Microsoft in numerous accounts that deploy Unix software with Microsoft
Solutions.

Vintela has always been interested in standards we've done quite a bit
in with standards both in implementation and participation in standards
bodies.  Our particular interest in Kitten is provide input and
resources so that GSSAPI might become more common in application
software.  Too many developers generate mechanism specific code which
makes it  difficult to use applications with 3rd party security
solutions (like Vintela's authentication product -- which contains a
Microsoft-centric kerb GSSAPI implementation).

On Thursday 10 March 2005 01:44 pm, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> The Milestones due this month on an initial draft of an informational
> document pulling together notes from the mail archive of proposed
> clarifications to GSS API Version 2 Update 1.  Matt Peterson
> volunteered to assign this task to a member of his staff.

I've asked David Leonard (dleonard@vintela.com) to become involved as a
resource for Kitten.  Dave Leonard is based in Brisbane Australia.
He's a Unix software engineer with good OSS development experience and
the right personality for IETF work.  He's even volunteered to take on
the task of look through the mail archives so that he can learn a bit
of history and come up to speed on the issues.  Dleonard will also be
the resource that will work on a draft that follow-up Sam's
draft-ietf-kitten-gss-naming-01.txt if (or when) it is necessary.

On this note...   Dleonard is ready to start.  Jeff, can you please
forward him the links to the archives, and the start/end dates so he
doesn't browse a bunch irrelevant archive posts.   We'll also need a
bit of direction on the best way to proceed with a possible follow-up
to draft-ietf-kitten-gss-naming-01.txt

Cheers,

--
Matt Peterson