[kitten] John Scudder's No Objection on draft-ietf-kitten-krb-spake-preauth-11: (with COMMENT)

John Scudder via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 17 January 2024 16:41 UTC

From: John Scudder via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-kitten-krb-spake-preauth@ietf.org, kitten-chairs@ietf.org, kitten@ietf.org, Nicolas Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>, nico@cryptonector.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 08:41:52 -0800
Subject: [kitten] John Scudder's No Objection on draft-ietf-kitten-krb-spake-preauth-11: (with COMMENT)

John Scudder has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-kitten-krb-spake-preauth-11: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-kitten-krb-spake-preauth/

COMMENT:

Thanks for this document. To the extent I was able to follow it as a decided
non-expert, I found it clear and readable. I have just a few small notes that I
hope may be helpful.

- Section 4.3 ends with the line,

   KEY_USAGE_SPAKE  65

  I understand this to be, that you're providing the reader with the
  IANA-assigned value. But without descriptive words around it, it's just
  puzzling and lacking in context. I think you could safely delete the line,
  since its information is included in Section 11 and in general it's
  desirable, in my experience, to have only a single source of truth for this
  kind of thing. Or otherwise, maybe you can work the information into the
  prose more smoothly.

- Although RFC 7322 section 4.8.6 provides shockingly little guidance about how
to format your references, I still think you should try to do better than

   [SPAKE]    Abdalla, M. and D. Pointcheval, "Simple Password-Based
              Encrypted Key Exchange Protocols", February 2005.

  which omits some of the usual things like what publication it appeared in. A
  few seconds of searching took me to
  https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1007/978-3-540-30574-3_14, so assuming that
  authoritative perhaps something like the information provided there would be
  suitable? ("CT-RSA'05: Proceedings of the 2005 international conference on
  Topics in Cryptology February 2005 Pages 191–208")

- You might want to consider your usage of "man-in-the-middle" in light of
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/on-inclusive-language/.