Re: [Ietf-krb-wg] Any interest in PKCROSS draft

Shoichi Sakane <sakane@tanu.org> Wed, 25 March 2009 18:13 UTC

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:14:12 -0700
From: Shoichi Sakane <sakane@tanu.org>
To: Thomas Hardjono <hardjono@MIT.EDU>
Cc: ietf-krb-wg@anl.gov
Subject: Re: [Ietf-krb-wg] Any interest in PKCROSS draft
Sender: ietf-krb-wg-bounces@lists.anl.gov

Hi,

I really wanted to resurrect it for reducing a client burden during cross-realm
operation.  Before that, we needed other staff like ticket extensions.  however,
Love's draft is becoming mature.  So, we might restart.

See attached mail for your more information.  I asked some of the authors,
and they won't have time to move it forward anymore.

===
Shoichi Sakane

On 03/25/2009 09:33 AM, Thomas Hardjono wrote:
> I noticed that the PKCROSS draft has expired a few years ago:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-cross-08
>
> I was wondering if anyone would be interested in resurrecting it and
> completing the draft.
>
> Thoughts?
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Jeff and all,

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> It is time to resume our charter discussion.  Based on discussions with
> Sam and comments received at the last meeting, I've refined my charter
> update proposal; the latest version can be found at the end of this
> message.  The primary open issues are these:

> (4) Do we want to adopt a work item to examine cross-realm issues?

> * Examine issues related to the current cross-realm model, produce a
>  list of problems to be solved, and evaluate approaches to solving them.

Please let me summarize the work so far related to the item #4,
cross-realm issues, and please let me talk about my opinion.

As the first step, I wrote a document that lists cross-realm issues
and defines the problems, which is probably included well-known problems.
The current draft is draft-sakane-krb-cross-problem-statement-01.txt.
I think that this document includes most of problems related to not
only specific area, but also typical network environment though the
title of the document uses "specific environtment".  If those things
are not enough to move our process forward, I need more input in order
to find out the other issues and problems.  Then we can evaluate
approaches.

As our next step, it is maybe too early to consider, Ken'ichi and I
have proposed a model to solve most of problems that described in the
problem statement document.
The current draft is draft-kamada-krb-client-friendly-cross-01.txt.
I announced my previous mail.  This document proposes a model
constructed by two modes.

Third, PK-CROSS will become obviously one of approaches to solve problems.
The second proposed document also mentions the mechanism.  I would like
to put this mechanism on the table again though I am not sure whether the
authors are focusing it still.  I will ask them.  If they don't have time,
I am ready to be editor or something like that.  I would like to have
any comment about my thought please.

Finally, Saber and others, including me, are proposing another approach
to solve cross-realm problem.
The current draft is draft-zrelli-krb-xtgsp-01.txt.
This approach is lettle different from the model that I proposed in previous
document.  However, this approach has an advantage, this is also mentioned
at the second proposed document.  We also have to evaluate it.

These are current status related to cross-realm work which I know.
IMHO, if there are some people interested in the item, we probably need
a small meeting at Prague.  I will send a request on another mail.

In summarize, we have four documents so far.
1. draft-sakane-krb-cross-problem-statement-01.txt.
2. draft-kamada-krb-client-friendly-cross-01.txt.
3. draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-cross-08.txt (expired)
4. draft-zrelli-krb-xtgsp-01.txt.

Any comments and information are welcome.

Regards,

--- End Message ---