[L1vpn] Re: [OSPF] Fw: Four L1VPN working group last calls

Anton Smirnov <asmirnov@cisco.com> Thu, 11 October 2007 17:05 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:16:05 -0700
From: Anton Smirnov <asmirnov@cisco.com>
To: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
Cc: ospf@ietf.org, l1vpn@ietf.org
Subject: [L1vpn] Re: [OSPF] Fw: Four L1VPN working group last calls

    Hi Adrian, all,
    I know it is damn close to last call deadline but I wanted to
question format of data propagated via OSPF in

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l1vpn-ospf-auto-discovery-03.txt

Format of TLVs propagated via L1VPN LSA proposed as:

-----
3.2. L1VPN INFO TLV

    The following TLV is introduced:

    Name: L1VPN IPv4 Info
    Type: 1
    Length: Variable

     0                   1                   2                   3
     0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
    |         L1VPN TLV length      |           L1VPN TLV Type      |

    TLV length
       The length of the TLV in bytes, including the 4 bytes of
       the TLV header.
-----

So here length comes before TLV type (so strictly speaking it should be
called LTV throughout the document) and length includes TLV header.
Just about every TLV so far standardized to be propagated via OSPF has
Type field coming first and length covering only value field (see TLV
definitions in TE, GR, RCAP, LLS, tags and whatsnot). Wouldn't it be
prudent to avoid divergence and make implementator's life slightly
easier to follow the suit? OSPF is used here merely as a transport
protocol for L1VPN discovery values so it is better if definition of
service fields is more friendly toward existing OSPF practices.

    Thanks,

Anton