[L1vpn] Fwd: Review of L1VPN framework document

Tomonori TAKEDA <takeda.tomonori@lab.ntt.co.jp> Fri, 04 August 2006 01:20 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 10:20:22 +0900
To: l1vpn@ietf.org
From: Tomonori TAKEDA <takeda.tomonori@lab.ntt.co.jp>
Subject: [L1vpn] Fwd: Review of L1VPN framework document

Hi,

For information, we have received comments from our AD and the routing
directorate review (thanks Ross and Dimitri) as follows.

Currenlty, we are working to resolve issues and update the document.

We may need to go for another WG last call.

Thanks,
Tomonori

---------------------------------------
Hi Ross, Dimitri,

Much thanks for your detailed comments.

I will update the document based on comments.

Please see some specific comments in-line.

<snip>

 > >o) inter-SP L1VPNs are introduced in 3.1.3 and 4.3.4 but nowhere else in
 > >the text further discussed in terms of requirements, impact, etc. authors
 > >should decide to address such case consistently

Inter-AS/SP is out of scope of current WG charter.

Therefore, I think current level of description may be good enough. I
will check text more in detail and make appropriate changes if necessary.

<snip>

 > >- Section 4.2.2: second para, last sentence, is this property specific to
 > >L1VPN or common to any domain service model (like the overlay)

OK.

Please not that L1VPN is a service, while overlay is an architectural
model. L1VPN (basic mode) utilizes overaly architecture, with some
appropriate modifications/enhancement.

 > >- Section 4.3: first para, is this application specific to L1VPN (which
 > >deals with CE-PE service) ? pls clarify - extend the applicability scope
 > >of L1VPN is not necessarily recommended as overlapping with techniques
 > >discussed as part of other WGs e.g. CCAMP

Same as above.

<snip>

 > >- Section 7: last para, last sentence, is it really over the customer i/f
 > >or over the CE-PE control plane channel ? what is at the end the
 > >relationship between the two ?

The customer interface includes the management interface, which is not
necessarily colocated with a CE-PE control plane channel.

Will clarify.

<snip>

 > >- Section 7.1: last para, second sentence, SPC functionality already
 > >described wrt signaling in RFC 4208 and 4003 or is there some specific not
 > >addressed in these RFCs

I think SPC MIB module is not addressed yet. (But such analysis is not
the main scope of this document.)

<snip>

 > >- Section 7.3: first para, "... discovery of reachability ..." does it
 > >correspond to "VPN membership information dissemination/distribution" if
 > >no please clarify, if yes please use a single term throughout the document
 > >to qualify a given mechanism/function

In this document, VPN membership information is defined as a list of TE
link addresses within the same VPN (associated with PE). Such address is
associated with a CE port.

In section 7.3, "reachability in remote site" means something different.
This is customer site reachability (e.g., C's addresses), typically
obtained as a result of CE-PE routing exchange.

Will clarify.

<snip>

 > >- Section 7.3: third para, in order to clarify the routing information
 > >exchange at the CE-PE, the following classification shall be used: VPN
 > >membership (per-VPN reachability) vs TE; and for the TE routing
 > >information distinguish between CE-PE TE link information vs intra-SP TE
 > >information; the third para shall be revisited along these lines - this
 > >would definitely provide clarity for this whole section - (a discussion on
 > >scalability would be advisable if not yet covered in another document)

OK. Agreee we need clarification.

Routing (like) information includes:
- VPN membership information (a list of TE link addresses on the CE port)
- CE-PE TE link information
- Customer site routing information (reachability only or TE)
- Intra-SP TE information

Will clarify these. Also will use consistent terminologies.

<snip>

 > >- Section 4.1: availability, at the end, add ref. from CCAMP

Do you have any specific reference in mind?

<snip>

Thanks,
Tomonori