RE: [L1vpn] Issues and concerns about Basic Mode OSPF Discovery

Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be Sat, 13 May 2006 08:50 UTC

To: Don Fedyk <dwfedyk@nortel.com>
Subject: RE: [L1vpn] Issues and concerns about Basic Mode OSPF Discovery
From: Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 10:50:14 +0200
Cc: l1vpn@ietf.org, "Drake, John E" <John.E.Drake2@boeing.com>

hi don

in general i see where you are landing at but there is also an issue
that for me - but probably for others - is not clear

by definition there are requirements that any solution should cover
since at the root of what a VPN discovery mechanism implies - these
are part of the base mode (PE-to-PE VPN membership info. exchange)
*** even if the requirement doc does not say a word about this ***

i am looking at the requirement document the group has produced - see
section 7 and 8 & i see four models, each with different implications
on the PE-to-PE information exchange (these models are referred to as
enhanced mode(s):

a) Overlay extension service model
b) Virtual node service model
c) Virtual link service model
d) Per-VPN peer service model

a) is the natural extension of membership information exchange b/w
CEs ... but what about b), c) and d) ... so in terms of solution we
are confronted to the following issue OSPF vs BGP solving the same
or non-necessarily identical problems ?

i am quite surprised this discussion happens now because the document
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l1vpn-applicability-01.txt>
was initially intended to answer to these questions, in part. when
it comes the identification on the impact in selecting a specific
protocol sol. vs proposed service models; however, this doc. mentions
at several places "Detailed analysis is for further study." including
the base "VPN membership information exchange within the provider network"
see Section 6.1.3

so, the discussion we're having simply shows that we're not mature
enough to cover more than the base discovery mode and before stepping
toward enhanced modes we certainly need to complete these FFS - the
important point is that before completing this work it is certainly
more than premature to state than one size fits all

thanks,
- dimitri.

"Don Fedyk" <dwfedyk@nortel.com>
12/05/2006 18:08