[L2CP] Wadhwa new draft 01- Encapsulation + Remode Id comments

Michel.Platnic@ecitele.com Mon, 22 May 2006 12:57 UTC

To: Sanjay Wadhwa <swadhwa@juniper.net>
From: Michel.Platnic@ecitele.com
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 15:56:57 +0300
Cc: l2cp@ietf.org
Subject: [L2CP] Wadhwa new draft 01- Encapsulation + Remode Id comments

Hi Sanjay and all,

Please find some comments and questions regarding the new internet-draft:
'draft-wadhwa-gsmp-l2control-configuration-01':

Among the different modifications that were brought to the document, allow
me underline the following:
Chapter 5.4.1
- A new subscriber identifier has been added: Type (Access-Loop-Remote-Id
= 0x02)
as a consequence Access-Aggregation-Circuit-ID-Binary has been moved from
type 0x02 to 0x04
- A new type has been added: Type (Access Loop Encapsulation = 0x90)
as a consequence DSL-type has been moved from type 0x90 to 0x91

Questions about these changes:
- I quite support the Access-Loop-Remote-Id new object.
Having this new circuit identifier, though, do we still need the
Access-Aggregation-Circuit-ID-ASCII object?
Could we merge Access-Loop-Circuit-ID and
Access-Aggregation-Circuit-ID-ASCII into one object
that we could call Port-ID or Circuit-ID?
Same question might be relevant for Access-Loop-Circuit-ID and
Access-Aggregation-Circuit-ID-Binary but this would
require previous agreement - We should agree that the same line identifier
may be used for access link
and aggregation link...

- Why was the access loop encapsulation object included within a message
where all parameters transmitted are layer 1 oriented?
There might be several encapsulations available per physical link, a new
message could maybe better serve the purpose of
transmitting the encapsulation parameters.

Chapter 5.4.2
- Typo:
Type (Access-Loop-Circuit-ID = 0x01) : defined in section 5.4.1
Type (Access-Aggregation-Circuit-ID-Binary = 0x02): defined in section
5.4.1.
Type (Access-Aggregation-Circuit-ID-ASCII = 0x03) : defined in section
5.4.1.
These lines should be updated to comply to Chapter 5.4.1.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Michel.

"Sanjay Wadhwa" <swadhwa@juniper.net>
05/04/2006 19:22

"Busschbach, Peter B \(Peter\)" <busschbach@lucent.com>, "Wojciech Dec
\(wdec\)" <wdec@cisco.com>, <l2cp@ietf.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [L2CP] Advantages of L2CP (was: Revised WG Charter Draft)

Peter
  Please see inline..

[Sanjay] All that the charter is saying is that L2C work will undertake
use-cases that aim to simplify service management by avoiding complex
cross-organization interactions. It is a nobel goal that L2C is striving
to achieve.. What is wrong with that ? This is irrespective of wether
other solutions can provide this or not.
So, as an example, charter for a new dynamic routing protocol might say
that it will strive to achieve fast network-wide convergence (which is a
clear benefit over static routing). But, obviously it is ok for multiple
dynamic routing protocols to work towards this goal and have this
explicitly stated in their charter.

-Sanjay