Re: [L2tpext] Offset size

"W. Mark Townsley" <townsley@cisco.com> Tue, 05 March 2002 16:22 UTC

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:18:06 +0100
From: "W. Mark Townsley" <townsley@cisco.com>
To: Cédric Fau <tra27@etu.enseeiht.fr>
CC: l2tpext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [L2tpext] Offset size
Sender: l2tpext-admin@ietf.org

Cédric Fau wrote:

> W. Mark Townsley wrote:
>
> > If you have an odd-sized layer two frame being carried between your tunnel
> > header and the framed network packets (e.g. an IP packet being framed by a PPP
> > packet with PFC negotiated, resulting in a 3 byte PPP frame) then it could help
> > the performance of some implementations to insert padding bytes to ensure
> > alignment of the framed network packet (e.g. the IP packet).
>
> OK in that case the offset can not exceed 3 bytes to align the end of
> the header on the end of a 32-bits word?
> So why the RFC propose a 2 bytes long field.

The offset is a 2 byte field stating the number of bytes of padding that follow.
So, if you need to bad two bytes, the offset is 0. If you need to pad 3, the
offset is 1. If you need to pad 1, sorry, you need to use an offset value of 3
so that you will effectively pad 5.

> > At one time, it's affect on at least some implementations was measurable,
> > particularly on an LNS which routed the tunneled, framed, IP packet locally
> > rather than sending it out another physical connection. The implications today
> > may not be as marked, and is in fact becoming more and more contraversial as to
> > whether it is even necessary, but still could theoretically be an issue. It is
> > always, of course, optional.
>
> In L2TP data packet, it seems that optional fields are not used. Is that
> the current implementation?

Not sure what you are asking. The optional fields of a data packet include
length, offset, and a sequence number. I have seen different combinations of
these fields used by different implementations. All MUST be able to receive a
packet with any of these fields present.