[L2tpext] RE: draft-galtzur-l2tpext-gr-01.txt and draft-ietf-l2tpext-failov er-02.txt

Sasha Vainshtein <Sasha@AXERRA.com> Tue, 27 January 2004 16:51 UTC

From: Sasha Vainshtein <Sasha@AXERRA.com>
To: Sharon Galtzur <sharon@AXERRA.com>, "'W. Mark Townsley'" <townsley@cisco.com>, "'Paul W. Howard'" <phoward@juniper.net>
Cc: Gonen Zilber <gonen@AXERRA.com>, "'l2tpext@ietf.org'" <l2tpext@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:49:55 +0200
Subject: [L2tpext] RE: draft-galtzur-l2tpext-gr-01.txt and draft-ietf-l2tpext-failov er-02.txt
Sender: l2tpext-admin@ietf.org

Mark, Sharon, Paul and all,
Just one brief remark on the subject.

When it comes to L2TPv3- and RADIUS-based VPLS, I'd say that
a graceful restart mechanism that passes through exactly the same
authentication stages as "normal" restart" is preferable since
it leaves less possibilities for security breaches. At the same
time, the number of sessions to be recovered in case of VPLS
(which is equal to the number of VPLS instances present in
the failed PE) should not be expected anywhere in the
100,000 range mentioned by Paul.

Did I miss something?

With best regards,
                                   Sasha Vainshtein