RE: [L2tpext] ppp draft issues - offset padding field

"Y Prasad" <yprasad@juniper.net> Wed, 11 July 2007 11:54 UTC

Subject: RE: [L2tpext] ppp draft issues - offset padding field
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:22:34 +0530
From: Y Prasad <yprasad@juniper.net>
To: Carlos Pignataro <cpignata@cisco.com>
Cc: Ignacio Goyret <igoyret@alcatel-lucent.com>, l2tpext@ietf.org

Please see in-line response at <yp>

<yp> Thanks, Carlos for the confirmation.

> > Offset size avp can be valid for non-ppp type sessions? If so we may
> > define this as generic avp?
>
> That would be outside the scope of this document, which covers only
ppp.
> RFC3931 or other companion documents have not defined any offset, so
> it's ppp-only.
<yp>
IMHO:
Offset feature is useful for non-ppp type of session as well. So it is
worth to define this avp as part of generic rather than every protocol
ending up in defining in their respective drafts. I know this is out of
scope of current ppp draft/discussion. But still it is under the scope
of "l2tpext" working group?

With best regards
yp

> Thanks,
>
> --Carlos.
>

> > Regards
> > yp

Do

> > not
PPP
> > (per-session).

> > So
> > negotiated
capabilities;
> > again
> >> Yes, it would be one or the other. The purpose of the capability
> >> advertisement in SCCRQ/SCCRP is, as you describe below, to not have
> >> negotiate at the session level, and maintain the same signaling
flow
> > as
> >> as with other messages, in which the receiving side requests some
> >> dataplane characteristic.
> >>
> >> More importantly, see below re. outgoing calls.

> > session
> >> OK.
> >> And agreed as another reason.

> > avp
> > argued
> > that
> > may
> > negotiates.
> > that

> > of
OCRP,
> > but

> > capability

> >> The problem here is that the OCCN is in the other direction:
> >>     OCCN  ------>
> >>
> >> So if the LAC advertises its capability in the OCRP, the LNS cannot
> >> request the offset padding.
> >>
> >> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3931#section-3.4.2
> >> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2661#section-5.2.2
> >>
> >> Based on this discussion and your comment above, I'm inclined to
> > update
> >> with an SCCRQ/P capability advertisement. That seems inline with
> >> existing flow, and solves the requirement. Would that work?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> --Carlos (as editor).

> > should
> > that