Re: [L2tpext] [mpls-tp] Section 3.4.1 of the MPLS TP Framework I-D - Nee RE: [PWE3] An error in RFC 4446"IANA Allocations for PseudowireEdge to Edge Emulation (PWE3)"

Yong Lucy <lucyyong@huawei.com> Thu, 20 August 2009 19:14 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:14:06 -0500
From: Yong Lucy <lucyyong@huawei.com>
To: 'Jiang Yuan-long' <yljiang@huawei.com>, liu.guoman@zte.com.cn, "'Drake, John E'" <John.E.Drake2@boeing.com>
Cc: neil.2.harrison@bt.com, mpls-tp-bounces@ietf.org, pwe3@ietf.org, l2tpext@ietf.org, mpls-tp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [L2tpext] [mpls-tp] Section 3.4.1 of the MPLS TP Framework I-D - Nee RE: [PWE3] An error in RFC 4446"IANA Allocations for PseudowireEdge to Edge Emulation (PWE3)"

Hi Jiang and John,

IMO. MPLS-TP supports two types of client: client network layer and client
non-network layer. IP can be as client in both cases. The matter is that
transport characteristics in two methods have some differences. As the
result, to carry a L3 network client, it is required to use the service
label. This is what I try to get clarification from John.

In fact, both PW label and service label are the bottom label. (S=1). This
is the importance. Separating them is to distinguish server transport
methods, not much to the payload itself.

Regards,

Lucy

  _____