RE: VPN Identifiers

neil.2.harrison@bt.com Wed, 13 August 2003 13:18 UTC

From: neil.2.harrison@bt.com
To: townsley@cisco.com, richard.spencer@bt.com
Cc: erosen@cisco.com, l2vpn@ietf.org
Subject: RE: VPN Identifiers
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:16:10 +0100
Sender: l2vpn-admin@ietf.org

Mark,

I agree with you.  But I also want to emphasis another point Richard made in
an earlier mail.....that is, we should decouple identifiers (by they names,
as here, or addresses) from other functional components, like specific
instances of routing or signalling protocols.  In the case of named entities
these are either abstract 'group' objects (like a VPN-ID) or an external (to
the network, but may bind to a network access point address) 'single'
objects.  Further, addresses belong to network access points in the
data-plane and quite clearly ought to be able to be used with any signalling
(or routing) protocol.....including case of 'none'.

regards, Neil