RE: draft-raggarwa-l2vpn-vpls-mcast-01.txt

"Ali Sajassi \(sajassi\)" <sajassi@cisco.com> Tue, 25 October 2005 17:47 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:46:42 -0700
From: "Ali Sajassi (sajassi)" <sajassi@cisco.com>
To: "Ali Sajassi (sajassi)" <sajassi@cisco.com>, Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net>, l2vpn@ietf.org
Subject: RE: draft-raggarwa-l2vpn-vpls-mcast-01.txt
Sender: l2vpn-bounces@ietf.org

I forgot to mention about another issue which is: sending unknown
unicast frames over shared MDT and learning action at the egress PE.

When the MDT is a shared-tree, then the tree identifier identifies the
RP node and not the ingress PE nodes. Therefore, another label is needed
to identify the ingress PE - e.g., a packet received at the egress PE
will have three labels (outer-label identifying the tree, middle label
identifying the ingress PE, and inner label identifying the VPLS
instance). If this is deemed too tedious, then the use of shared-MDT for
unknown unicast traffic should be avoided and instead ingress
replication over P2P PWs should be used.

-Ali