RE: Discussion on forwarding performance - 2VLAN

Jiangyuanlong <jiangyuanlong@huawei.com> Thu, 17 May 2012 02:43 UTC

From: Jiangyuanlong <jiangyuanlong@huawei.com>
To: "Rogers, Josh" <josh.rogers@twcable.com>, Daniel Cohn <DanielC@orckit.com>, "Balus, Florin Stelian (Florin)" <florin.balus@alcatel-lucent.com>, Sam Cao <yuqun.cao@gmail.com>, Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>
Subject: RE: Discussion on forwarding performance - 2VLAN
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 02:41:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.70.40.73]
Cc: "l2vpn@ietf.org" <l2vpn@ietf.org>

Josh,

Yuanlong, I agree with your statement/assessment of where lookups occur to
decide how to forward (egress PE), howeverŠ  If optimization is done to
prevent the frame from being forwarded to PE's that have no AC's of the
appropriate type, then there has to some sort of mapping between the
ingress AC and the appropriate PW.

[JY] I assume the optimization you mean is filtering the leaf traffic on the ingress PE and not sending it to the leaf-only PE, right?
I think there is no direct mapping from an ingress AC to a PW (except for spoke PW in H-VPLS), as you know, there is only one PW between PEs in Dual-VLAN solution.

 Earlier I assumed that this mapping
would be done by looking at the S-VLAN that would be applied on the
ingress PE physical interface.  In the case of optimization being used,
you'd see lookup of S-VLAN on both ingress and egress PE's, right?  If
not, how is the mapping between ingress AC and appropriate PW's done?

[JY] In the case of optimization, the ingress PE may further filter the leaf traffic on the logical ports corresponding to a PW which is connected to a leaf-only remote PE (just as I said before, the VLAN mapping may be processed on a logical port), this was described in section 5.3.3 of draft-jiang-l2vpn-vpls-pe-etree-05. But in a PW for E-Tree, as only 2 VLAN values are possible, so we don't even need a table to implement it.

Regards,
Yuanlong