Re: l2vpn framework issue

Ali Sajassi <sajassi@cisco.com> Thu, 31 July 2003 19:16 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:14:48 -0700
To: erosen@cisco.com, l2vpn@ietf.org
From: Ali Sajassi <sajassi@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: l2vpn framework issue
Sender: l2vpn-admin@ietf.org

Hi Eric,

By defining the three models for VPLS-PE, it makes it more clear than what
it was before. However, it seems you use the term VPLS instance to refer to
a group of PWs as their associated forwarders, right ? Previously, the term
VPLS instance was used to refer to a service instance (uni-to-uni)
including the portion over IP/MPLS. The figure 2 in framework includes a CE
connected to a VPLS-PE over an access network (e.g., QinQ) and the CE is
marked to be included in that service instance. And that is consistent with
my understanding. In other words, I consider a VPLS instance as a service
instance that is between uni to uni and spans across access networks as
wells as core MPLS/IP network.

We can call, the group of PWs and their associated forwarder an emulated
LAN that can correspond to one or more VPLS instances. If it corresponds to
a single VPLS instance, then we also refer to it as emulated VLAN because
it looks like a VLAN to a bridge module.

Besides indicating which of these models a given solution uses, it should
also indicated if the bridged module that it uses, is the standard IEEE
802.1 bridged module or not.

-Ali