RE: AII differences between PW routing and l2vpn signalling draft provisionong methods.

"Mustapha Aissaoui" <mustapha.aissaoui@alcatel.com> Fri, 02 December 2005 18:58 UTC

From: Mustapha Aissaoui <mustapha.aissaoui@alcatel.com>
To: 'Luca Martini' <lmartini@cisco.com>, 'L2VPN' <l2vpn@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:57:41 -0500
Cc: 'David McDysan' <dave.mcdysan@mci.com>, bsd@cisco.com
Subject: RE: AII differences between PW routing and l2vpn signalling draft provisionong methods.
Sender: l2vpn-bounces@ietf.org

Luca,
I do not believe there is any substantial difference that warrants to
standardize two different AII types. A MS-PW can also terminate on a VSI,
e.g., VPLS.

The issue is to be able to encode the target termination interface: an
endpoint for a p2p PW or a VSI for a VPLS in a way such that it will work
for both single hop PWs and MS-PWs. Both types can be used for the various
L2VPN applications.

Pragmatically, the way to go is to deprecate the FEC 129 as defined in
draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling-06.txt (Type 1) and extend the Type 2 to cover
the various applications. One other reason to deprecate Type 1 is that we do
not want an implementation to use different FEC 129 types for single-hop PW
and MS-PW. FEC 128 will be restricted to singe hop PW and will be fine as
long as we specify a way to reach U-PEs which are on a FEC 129 Type 2
network.

Mustapha.