Re: Re: wg last call - draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-05.txt

Du Wenhua <duwh@huawei.com> Fri, 08 October 2004 12:42 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:39:40 +0800
From: Du Wenhua <duwh@huawei.com>
To: Marc Lasserre <marc@riverstonenet.com>, Loa Andersson <loa@pi.se>, L2VPN <l2vpn@ietf.org>
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, Alex Zinin <zinin@psg.com>
Subject: Re: Re: wg last call - draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-05.txt
Sender: l2vpn-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,Marc Lasserre,
 Thanks for your reply. See my comments bellow.

>To: duwh <duwh@huawei.com>
>Subject: Re: wg last call - draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-05.txt

>Du,
>
>Section 8.1.3 describes how a router (PE-r) that does not support VPLS
>bridging functions can participate in the VPLS service.
But why only describes a router? Why not describes a non-bridging MTU?
It is not enough to only describe a route in this chapter.
The title is "8.1.3 Spoke connectivity for non-bridging _devices_".
"Devices" includes router, MTU(such as example of the DSLAM)....

>PE-r devices do not
>have the ability to add P-VLAN tags (this is a provider bridge function),
>and hence must use PWs on a per physical port basis.
Not true.
[PWE3-ETHERNET] defines the function of "stripping, overwriting or adding
VLAN tags". PE-r support [PWE3-ETHERNET], so PE-r have the ability of add
VLAN tag.
Please notice that here the two ACs belong to a same PE-r, which is defines
in [draft-ietf-l2vpn-l2-framework-05.txt] 3.2.3. Forwarders:
"The case in which PE1 and PE2 are the same device is an important case
to handle correctly"

>A P-VLAN as defined in the IEEE 802.1ad represents a unique customer domain
>within the provider network, which is mapped to a unique VSI.
>In your DSLAM
>example,  P-VLANs are used as circuit identifiers instead.
True.
Using P-VLANs as circuit identifiers is function of [PWE3-ETHERNET].
Here the  DSLAM works in the way of [PWE3-ETHERNET], forwarding frames
from one AC to another AC. One VC is RFC1483B PVC, another AC is Ethernet
VLAN.

>The ability for
>PE-rs devices to be able to treat such P-VLANs as virtual ports in order
>make them part of the same VPLS domain would be implementation specific.
I think it is not "implementation specific", it is better to write the
function of PE-rs in the this draft <draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-05.txt>.

RFC should guarantee the cooperation of different devices from different
companies.

If, a customer buys a DSLAM from me and buys a PE-rs from you,
The DSLAM support [PWE3-ETHERNET], maps two DSL 1483B PVC to two V-LANs.
The PE-rs supports [VPLS-LDP], maps one P-VLAN to one VPLS.
What will happen if the two DSL PVCs belong to one VPLS?  It does not
work, because the PE-r can not map two P-VLANs to one VPLS and the DSLAM
is non-bridging.
How to solve this issue of cooperation? I think [VPLS-LDP] need add a
function to PE-rs in "8.1.3 Spoke connectivity for non-bridging devices":
"treat such P-VLANs as virtual ports and o make them part of the same
VPLS domain".